I'm delighted to bring another guest blogger to you today. My friend Lew not only preaches the gospel of healthy living but practices. it When she sent in a guest article, I knew it would be valuable content for this blog. She shares with us how we can be healthier in 2013 and beyond.
Lew's Ten Tips
2. Make the switch from white to brown: Brown is always healthier. You can enjoy your carbs by changing from White to Brown. Eat Brown rice, Whole Wheat Flour, Whole Wheat Grain Bread, Whole Wheat Pasta or Whole Wheat cereals rich in Fiber like Fruit n’ Fiber.
3. Eats lots of Fruits and Vegetables: I loveeee me some FVs as I refer to them. They are amazing and nutritious. For great hair, glowing skin, strong nails and a balanced diet, up your FV intake. Everyday, I eat lots of Fruits and Veggies like Bananas, Carrots, Oranges,Pineapples, Watermelon, Paw Paw (Papaya) and Mangoes.
4. Make EVOO a staple in your life: Say it with me, E V O O. Extra Virgin Olive Oil is my best friend. It is a healthier option than regular Groundnut /Vegetable Oil. Asides from cooking, I use it on my hair, my lips, my whole body! EVOO is gooooood to me and I love it.
5. Protein is a better alternative to Carbohydrate: The more protein-based foods you eat, the healthier you will be with a great figure to go with that. A wrap of Moi- Moi is more nutritious than a piece of Yam. Fish, Skinless Turkey and Chicken are better choices than red meat. If you want a smaller waist and a healthier life say bye to red meat and hello to white meat!
6. Eat the right quantity at the right time: Breakfast is everything, never skip it. I Love me some Yoghurt with my cereal (yoghurt contains those good bacteria for your lady parts ;)). I also substitute regular milk with soy milk because it is much more nutritious and better for you. Lunch should be the heaviest meal of the day, try to make your meal more of the good stuff, protein and veggies and less carbs. Dinner should be your lightest meal and if possible eaten before 8pm. Have a chicken/tuna salad or eat some fruits.
7. Treat yourself once in a while: Feed your cravings, I don't believe in completely depriving myself of the things I like. If you want a bar of chocolate, eat it. If you’ve been fantasizing about a greasy double cheeseburger, eat it, if it is that chocolate ice cream,get it, that glass of white wine, drink it. Remember not to over-indulge, you're only rewarding yourself a little for eating right.
8. Exercise: I don’t like the Gym. I haven’t been to one in 5years but I still manage to get adequate exercise. Get your Moses on, Walk, Walk, Walk! Take the stairs instead of using the lift, you can even do simple exercises on said stairs. Crunches and Squats also help tone my thighs, abs and everywhere prone to fat. Once in a while, I do some Zumba. Dance, move those hips, grind, twerk, shake that thing, you’ll be amazed at the number of body parts you’re working out at the same time.
9. Be happy: Be positive, Smile, Love, Live, Learn, Dance, Cry when it gets hard, Laugh away the pain and give the people you love hugs.
10. Sleep: Make sure you get enough sleep so you're happy and refreshed in the mornings, no one likes a grump.
Love God, love yourself and love life! Eat your way to a healthier and fitter you. I would love to hear your own tips for healthy living. Please share them in the comments.
Lew is a Health enthusiast who isn't only highly interested in looking and feeling good about herself but also wants to share her experiences with others. Follow her on twitter @ZeLew or email Lewtahhh@gmail.com