Friday, 8 February 2013
5 Romantic Things To Do On Valentine's Day
I don't know about you but for me, Valentine's day is actually the worst day to go out to dinner. Everywhere is packed, wait time is tripled, the quality of the food goes down by almost half and sometimes the prices double. Not to speak of the over cheesy environment with the waiters putting up their best show, everything's OTT!
So I decided to write about five things a couple can do on the 14th apart from the cliché restaurant dinner. Yes, you can call me the love doctor :-)
1) Have a home-cooked meal: I know you are about to curse me out."home cooked dinner, really? how boring". Hear me out I plead of thee. I'm talking, three course meal, candle light, music in the background playing kind of home cooked dinner. This is what the boy and I did last Valentine's and I don't think we've had a better time for the two years we've been together.
Split the courses between the two of you, so no one feels cheated. For starter, he made the chicken and sweetcorn soup which we had with some store bought garlic bread. For mains, I made roast potatoes, a yummy steak and some veggies. Such things are easy to cook, so you don't sit around for long waiting to eat. For dessert, he made a lovely fruit platter; strawberries, grapes, bananas, the works and served it with some melted chocolate. What a delight it was! Don't forget the bubbly, you'd be cheers-ing to your love and all that jazz :)
2) Hire a private chef: Ok so if you are not one to cook, you can hire a private chef to treat you and your loved one to a special meal. It gives you both a chance to kick back and relax and savour the moment in bliss. When I say private chef, it doesn't have to be anything really fancy or expensive. There are some pretty affordable ones or you may know a chef personally, a friend, cousin or something. If all attempts at hiring a chef fail, just order in some nice food. What makes the difference is you setting the table right with the candles, alcohol, music etc. If you choose to, you can even both get dressed!
3) Check into a nice hotel: You and your partner can book a nice hotel for the night. Many hotels around this period offer roses, chocolate and champagne on arrival for a fee. That just makes it all the more romantic. Now when it's time to eat, NO! Don't go down to the hotel restaurant, it's just as bad. Why don't you order room service. You both can be plopped up in bed, watching a nice movie with your yummy spread over your knees..bliss! <3
4) Book a relaxing evening at a spa: Nothing says bonding time more than getting a full on pamper session with your man. Full body massage, steam bath, pedicure, manicure, sauna, the works, he loves the finer things too! Many spas also offer couples packages that come with a light meal, you can both eat in peace after the pampering.
5) Go to a concert: Again, around this time, there will be many love-themed concerts happening. If you are lucky to find an artist you both like having a Valentine's day concert, that would be great. If not, something within the week will do. For example, Maxwell is coming to Lagos on the 16th of February, if you are both fans, you can decide to stay in on the 14th and postpone your V-day celebrations till the 16th.
What do you have planned for Valentine's day? If you've got any more non-cliché ideas, please share them in the comments.
Peace and Love,